What is BLINK?
Last experienced by over 1.3M people in 2019, BLINK, Illuminated by ArtsWave, welcomes all to Cincinnati, Ohio October 13-16, 2022. The four-day, 30 city block, outdoor art experience is sure to be unforgettable, uniting street art, projection mapping and light-based installations.
Not only does the event speak to the dynamic evolution of the Cincinnati art community, it calls upon the city’s deep roots in supporting the arts. BLINK is illuminated by ArtsWave, the first and largest community campaign in the nation and the primary way that Cincinnati funds its arts. When tens of thousands of people and hundreds of companies give to ArtsWave, they support 150 cultural organizations and projects each year like BLINK that make our region vibrant. Donations to BLINK and other arts projects and organizations can be made at artswave.org/give.
BLINK is produced and curated by its Executive Partners – the Cincinnati USA Regional Chamber, AGAR, and the Haile Foundation, and produced in conjunction with its Partners ArtWorks and Cincy Nice – to provide opportunities for regional artists and bring in global creators all in the pursuit of a stronger community.
Who Can Apply?
BLINK is putting out an international call for artists in the fields of projection mapping, mural paintings, light-based art installations, and music.
Where Can I Apply?
Submissions will be accepted here through Submittable. For questions about your submission status, or other questions pertaining to Submittable, check out Common Questions for Submitters. For first-time Submittable users, How Do I Submit will walk you through the process.
When Can I Apply?
Applications will be open from March 31, 2022, at 11:00 AM EST to April 29, 2022, at 5:00 PM EST
Is There a Fee to Apply?
For light-based installation, murals, and projection mapping, there is a $50 fee to apply. For music, there is no submission fee.
Will Artists be Compensated?
If accepted, artists will be awarded a grant to complete their proposed artwork for BLINK. Grant size is dependent on the scale and complexity of the piece, as well as the experience of the artist and available funds.
What Should I Consider When Applying To BLINK?
Artists, designers, architects, students, arts organizations and creatives are encouraged to consider one or more of the event goals for their proposals. The Cincinnati region has become a hub of creativity and invention. In this spirit, BLINK is encouraging collaborative work that crosses creative disciplines. Our event `goals are as follows:
- Collaboration: We’re looking for collaborations between artists working in all types of media and performance, as well as collaborations between artists and technological innovators, incorporating varied artist practices, all with an emphasis on and inclusion of light as an artistic medium.
- Audience Engagement: Works selected will be visually compelling through design, color, and scale; be fun and interactive. Works that encourage exploration and participation in unexpected ways and/or those which provide surprises and delight for viewers, are desirable. They should be welcoming to all and avoid barriers for those with special accessibility needs.
- Transformation: By bringing together the efforts of the brightest creative minds in the fields of art, music, performance, and technology, BLINK will be an inspirational and transformative experience for both the participant and the event attendee. Works that enable attendees to see situations in new ways, rethink their deeply held beliefs, unite people from different backgrounds and build bridges across divides.
What is the Selection Process?
There is a three-phase selection process as follows:
- Phase I: Complete Application & Qualify / SUBMISSION DEADLINE 4/29/2022
The first round will be completed by the BLINK Creative Team, who will review the proposals to identify applications that meet the following criteria:
– Project Description: A complete application with a clear project description
– Budget & Feasibility: A thorough and realistic budget that takes all expenses into account. Through a proof of concept or completed past work, the application makes clear the artist can produce or perform the submitted proposal.
– Accessibility: The project is accessible to visitors with varied physical abilities.
– Event Goals: The project meets one or more of the event goals.
– Impact: The impact of the artwork to the general audience. Does the piece provide a unique, fun, memorable or interactive experience for the event-goer?
– Site: If the proposal is for a site-specific work, is that location viable and available? Submissions for the City right-of-way that do not block sidewalks or streets will be considered. Sites may be suggested by applicants but are not guaranteed.
– Complete: Submit your application at www.BLINKCincinnati.com. Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.
- Phase II: Review / May 2022
The second round will be completed by the Jury for each specific call.
- Phase III: Invite / end of May 2022
Based on jurors’ scores and recommendations, and considering budgets and site availability, BLINK will invite selected artists to participate in the event.
What Type of Work Will Not be Considered?
Works of art or performances that advertise a commercial product or brand will not be accepted. BLINK is a family-friendly event, and work must be appropriate for all ages.
How Will Artists Know If Their Submission Has Been Chosen?
Artists will be notified of the status of their application at the end of May 2022. No matter the outcome, accepted or turned down, artists can expect an email from BLINK once decisions have been made.